Acacia - Further Information
A number of books have been written specifically on acacias and most general books on Australian native plants will contain useful information on their botany and horticulture. There are also a number of Acacia resources on the internet and on CD. Some of the most detailed references are listed below.
- Armitage, I (1977), Acacias of New South Wales, Society for Growing Australian Plants, NSW Region.
- Elliot, W. R and Jones D (1982), The Encyclopaedia of Australian Plants, Vol.2, Lothian Publishing Company Pty Ltd, Melbourne.
- Hitchcock, M (1991), Wattle, Australian Government Publishing Service.
- Pedley, L (1987), Acacias in Queensland.
- Rogers, F, Field Guide to the Wattles of Victoria.
- Simmons, M (1981), Acacias of Australia, Vol.1, Thomas Nelson Australia.
- Simmons, M (1987), Growing Acacias, Kangaroo Press.
- Simmons, M (1988), Acacias of Australia, Vol.2, Penguin Books Australia.
- Tame, T (1992), Acacias of South-east Australia, Kangaroo Press.
- Wibley, D (1980), Acacias of South Australia, South Australian Government Printer.
Several issues of the Society's journal "Australian Plants" are particularly useful for those interested in Acacia.
- Vol 10, No.82 March 1980; Microwave treatment of Acacia seed.
- Vol 11, No.91 June 1982; Wattles of the Grampians.
- Vol 14, No.114 March 1988; Outline of characteristics of Acacia.
- Vol 17, No.134 March 1993; Top End wattles for gardens.
- Vol 18, No.147 June 1986; Vegetative propagation of wattles.
- Vol 21, No.169 December 2001; Acacia leprosa 'Scarlet Blaze' - Victoria's Federation flower.
- Vol 22, No.180 September 2004; Entire issue.
- On-Line Key to Acacia - WATTLE ver 2.2 This is an interactive, web-based service to help people identify any species of wattle and access further information on a particular species (you will need to scroll down on that page to find the Wattle key).
◄◄ Acacia Index Top ▲